A Field Trip Adventure
Docent guided tours can be scheduled for Tuesday through Friday from 9 to 11:15 a.m. Other docent guided opportunities will be available as volunteers are trained. There are no docent guided tours available on Saturday or Sunday.
Self-guided tours are allowed on Saturday and Sundays. Click here if you are participating in a self guided tour. You will find information that will help you prepare to lead your own tour. You and/or other adult supervisors are encouraged to make a pre-tour visit to better prepare. Remember, admission is free on Saturday mornings from 10-noon (except on special event Saturdays).
Field Trip Suggestions
Check our Tour Availability
Due to the high level of field trips, the museum has added a calendar online for your convenience. Please check your perspective date here and we will be better ready to serve you when you are ready to request a date and time.
Who To Call:
For reservations, contact Education Officer Melodie A. Cuate by calling +1-956-383-6911 or via email.
When To Call:
Contact us four weeks in advance to facilitate proper processing of your request. Each teacher must reserve for his/her own class to ensure that necessary pre-visit and registration materials are sent to the appropriate person.
When scheduling your visit, please consider the time needed to travel to the Museum and be sure to arrive on time. There will be someone here to answer your questions on Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Information To Have Ready:
- Name, email address, district and telephone/fax number of school
- Grade level of class
- Number of students attending
- Number of teachers and chaperones attending. Reminder: The museum requires one adult chaperone with every ten students.
- Date and time of visit requested
- Accommodations needed for persons with disabilities.
Fees and Policies:
These fees apply to schools not under contract with the Museum of South Texas History.
Rates for Docent-Guided School Groups
- $8 per child with a minimum fee of $120
- One supervising adult per 10 students is requested (free admission). Other adults accompanying the groups will be charged general admission.
- To confirm a reservation, a non-refundable deposit of 50% of the estimated tour fee will be requested. A credit card or purchase order number may be used.
Checks or money orders/Purchase orders should be made to the Museum of South Texas History.
- Confirmation number, school, teacher’s name, telephone number and date of visit must appear on check or payment order.
- Payment must be made on or before the day of the visit.
- Payment may be made by credit card. The museum accepts American Express, Discover, MasterCard and Visa.
- In cases of small groups, paying separately is acceptable.
A confirmation packet will be sent to you by email, United States Postal Service (mail) or by fax. Please bring it with you on the day of your visit in order to check in as quickly and smoothly as possible.
Please unload students at the Visitors Entrance found on the north side of the building on Kuhn Street. Buses on tour day may park in the lot or along the curb.
While your group is receiving stickers and reviewing the Museum rules, your group’s designated adult will turn in the group count and settle the bill with the museum admission’s desk/office.
You will need an adequate number of adults. Every 10 students should have someone to monitor and share information with them. Each group will begin in one area and rotate to the following area after your set amount of time, about 20 minutes.